The Sfântu Gheorghe district is a district located in the southeastern region of Romania, in the historic region of Muntenia. It is bordered by the counties of Călăraşi to the east, Galaţi to the northeast, Vrancea to the north, Valcea to the west, and Constanţa to the south. The district covers an area of 5,489 km² and has a population of 402,719 (as of 2011). The city of Sfântu Gheorghe, the administrative seat of the district, is located in the central-northern portion of the district and has a population of 78,725 (as of 2011).
The economy of the Sfântu Gheorghe district is primarily based on agriculture, with a few other industries, such as wood and leather processing, located in the area. The district is also home to many tourist attractions due to its proximity to the Black Sea, the Danube Delta and the Carpathian Mountains.
The most convenient way to reach Ialomita Sfantu Gheorghe district is by car. It is located approximately 17 miles (27 km) from Bucharest. You can take 138A to get there. Another option is taking a train to Slobozia, then transfer to a bus to reach the district. You can also take a direct bus from Bucharest to Sfantu Gheorghe.
Sfantu Gheorghe is a district (județ) in southeastern Romania, in the historical region of Muntenia. It is mostly surrounded by the county of Ialomiţa, except for the northern edge which borders the counties of Brașov and Covasna. The capital of the district is the city of Sfântu Gheorghe. Other main towns in the district include Slănic Moldova and Mihăileşti.
Sfantu Gheorghe is located is located in east-central Romania, in the historical region of Muntenia. It is bordered to the east by Brăila County, to the west by Covasna County, to the north by Buzău County and to the south by Constanţa County. The county seat is Sfântu Gheorghe.
If you are looking to travel to the Sfantu Gheorghe district of Ialomita County, Romania, the best way to get there is by car. If you do not have access to a car, the nearest airport is Bucharest Henri Coanda International Airport, located approximately 120km away. From the airport, you could hire a car, or take a train or bus to Ialomita County, then a taxi or local transport to Sfantu Gheorghe.
1. Slanic Moldova Monastery: This is a 16th century Eastern Orthodox monastery located in Slanic Moldova, Ialomita County. The monastery was built by Moldavian Voivode Petru Rares in 1594 and serves as an important landmark of Romanian culture and history. The monastery is known for its religious and spiritual significance for Romanians and for its unique architectural style and beautiful frescoes.
2. Slanic Town Museum: Located in Slanic, Ialomita County, this museum was created in 1966, and works to preserve and showcase the rich cultural history of Romania, including local cultures and customs of the Ialomita region. The museum houses collections of artifacts, documents, and photographs from the 16th century to the present day.
3. Ciorăști Castle: This castle was built in the 15th century by the Wallachian leader Mircea cel Bătrân. The castle is located in the town of Ciorasti and is an important cultural heritage of Ialomita County. It is now open for visitors and houses a museum which displays traditional Romanian artifacts, furniture and other objects from the medieval era.
4. Măgura Monastery: This Eastern Orthodox monastery was founded in the 18th century by Wallachian ruler Grigore III Ghica. The monastery is located in the town of Mașina de Piatra and is known for its impressive architecture and its wood-carved interior. It is also revered for its cultural heritage and religious significance.
5. Pârâul Cetățuii Nature Reserve: This reserve is located in the Ialomita county, in the Ciulnita commune. The area is known for its biodiversity and spectacular landscapes. The reserve is an important site for conservation efforts, as it houses many endangered species of flora and fauna. It is a great destination for nature lovers and offers numerous outdoor activities for visitors.
1. Sfantu Gheorghe Citadel
2. Karolyi Castle
3. Lacul Dranov
4. Ponoarele Monastic Complex
5. Ialomita Caves
6. Greek Church and Monastery
7. Ciolanu Monastery
8. Osica Roman Church and Monastery
9. Slanic Monastery
10. Ciucsorna Nature Park
Sfantu Gheorghe district offers several tourist activities. These activities include visiting historical monuments, such as the Romanesque basilica at Sfantu Gheorghe or the Statue of Saint Demetrius, spending some time outdoors in the beautiful nature reserves of Danube Delta and Bârladului Valley, and taking part in fishing and/or boating activities on the Sfantu Gheorghe branch of the Danube. Tourists can also visit the National History Museum, wander around the well-preserved citadel of Sfantu Gheorghe, take part in festivals and religious events, or enjoy bike tours. For the outdoorsy types, the district offers numerous hiking trails and bird-watching opportunities. In addition, gastronomy enthusiasts can explore the local Romanian specialties and traditional restaurants in the area. Finally, tourists can take advantage of the local leisure facilities, including spas, aqua parks and tennis courts.